Space is our Environment, too
The starry sky above us is in danger. Mega constellations brighten the night , junk accumulates in Earth’s orbit, and there is the race to the moon and its resources: a truly planetary approach to sustainability, comprising Earth and its space environment is ever more important.
Humans are setting out for the stars. Our space environment is being used more and more intensively, mega constellations are beginning to light up the night sky and disrupt astronomy. Junk is accumulating in the more heavily used Earth orbits, increasing the risk of a cascade effect which renders space-faring impossible. Meanwhile, several countries now want to go to the Moon, and this time plan to use its resources.
As our time on Earth is limited, we need to be able to move. But we need ethical guidelines in the area of outer space, which is an international domain, especially because the law remains open to interpretation.
Moreover, we need to link the issues of sustainable space use with the environmental debate here on Earth: we should develop the outline for an 18th Sustainable Development Goal for our space environment. #SDG18
This is a non-profit initiative aiming to foster the discussion by organizing international workshops on topic (cf. #PLASUS21 ). The next event, scheduled for 4th March 2022, will focus on the SDG18 development.
To make this happen, we started fundraising to continue a coordinating position at the University of Bern for Dr. Andreas Losch, MBA, who initiated this research in previous years.
What people say about planetary sustainability
People need natural resources to make a living and in the long run this will include natural resources from outer space.COSPAR Assembly 2018 Member
We (as space researchers) need guidelines to decide how to conduct research benefiting sustainable development.COSPAR Assembly 2018 Member
- SDG18.SPACE WorkshopOn 4 March afternoon 2:00-5:30pm (Bern time = CET) our project will organize a first explorative online workshop on the idea of anContinue reading “SDG18.SPACE Workshop”
- CfP Space Resources and Planetary SustainabilityFrontiers in Astronomy and Space Sciences just published our call for papers for this special collection on Space Resources and Planetary Sustainability: ChallengesContinue reading “CfP Space Resources and Planetary Sustainability”
- #SDG18 Talk @HULT Global Alumni Day“We are pleased to have Dr. Andreas Losch who will hold an incredible webinar on the occasion of International Alumni Day. He willContinue reading “#SDG18 Talk @HULT Global Alumni Day”
- #PLASUS21 Workshop Report is outThe Report of the #PLASUS21 Workshop is now available. Enjoy written summaries of the talks and their Q&A, and all relevant workshop data.WeContinue reading “#PLASUS21 Workshop Report is out”
- #SDG18 TalkDr. Andreas Losch gave a talk at SAP’s Innovation for Purpose Meeting, promoting an 18th Sustainable Development Goal “Space Environment”. Watch it here!
- #PLASUS21 recordings available nowThank you for your interest in planetary sustainability 21: challenges, opportunities and necessities. You can now view the workshop sessions on youtube. DueContinue reading “#PLASUS21 recordings available now”
- #PLASUS21 SpeakersMeet the esteemed speakers of our planetary sustainability workshop, and learn what they will talk about. Dr. Natália Archinardholds the space portfolio atContinue reading “#PLASUS21 Speakers”
- 2021 Crowdfunding BackersA big THANK YOU to all the backers of the 2021 crowdfunding campaign on wemakeit.com, and to the… Workshop sponsorsFDFA, RefBeJuSo, UZH SpaceContinue reading “2021 Crowdfunding Backers”
- Workshop sponsorsThe very first workshop sponsor is the UZH Space Hub, part of the UZH Innovation Hub, which is a platform for innovation andContinue reading “Workshop sponsors”