Space is our Environment, too
Megaconstellations in the night sky, junk in Earth’s orbit, the race to the moon and its resources: planetary sustainability comprising Earth and its space environment is ever more important.
Humans are setting out for the stars. Our space environment is being used more and more intensively, mega constellations are beginning to light up the night sky and disrupt science. Junk is accumulating in the more heavily used Earth orbits. Several countries now want to go to the Moon, and this time plan to use its resources.
As time on Earth is limited, we need to move. But we need ethical guidelines in the area of outer space, which is an international domain, especially because the law remains open to interpretation.
Moreover, we need to link the issues of sustainable space use with the environmental debate here on Earth: we should discuss an 18th Sustainable Development Goal for our space environment. #SDG18
This is a non-profit initiative aiming to foster the discussion by organizing an international workshop on topic.(#PLASUS21)
To make this happen, we started fundraising to establish and continue a research position at the University of Bern for Dr. Andreas Losch, MBA, who initiated this research in previous years.
What people say about planetary sustainability
People need natural resources to make a living and in the long run this will include natural resources from outer space.COSPAR Assembly 2018 Member
We (as space researchers) need guidelines to decide how to conduct research benefiting sustainable development.COSPAR Assembly 2018 Member
History & More Information
- #PLASUS21 Workshop Report is outThe Report of the #PLASUS21 Workshop is now available. Enjoy written summaries of the talks and their Q&A, and all relevant workshop data.WeContinue reading “#PLASUS21 Workshop Report is out”
- #SDG18 TalkDr. Andreas Losch gave a talk at SAP’s Innovation for Purpose Meeting, promoting an 18th Sustainable Development “Space Environment”. Watch it here!
- #PLASUS21 recordings available nowThank you for your interest in planetary sustainability 21: challenges, opportunities and necessities. You can now view the workshop sessions on youtube. DueContinue reading “#PLASUS21 recordings available now”
- #PLASUS21 SpeakersMeet the esteemed speakers of our planetary sustainability workshop, and learn what they will talk about. Dr. Natália Archinardholds the space portfolio atContinue reading “#PLASUS21 Speakers”
- 2021 Crowdfunding BackersA big THANK YOU to all the backers of the 2021 crowdfunding on wemakeit.com, and to the… Workshop sponsorsFDFA, RefBeJusSo, UZH Space Hub,Continue reading “2021 Crowdfunding Backers”
- Workshop sponsorsThe very first workshop sponsor is the UZH Space Hub, part of the UZH Innovation Hub, which is a platform for innovation andContinue reading “Workshop sponsors”
- Media Partner: spacewatch.globalWe are very happy to announce the media partner for our #PLASUS21 workshop: spacewatch.global! Best known by its global series of Space CafésContinue reading “Media Partner: spacewatch.global”
- Space Café on Religion, Ethics and SpaceYou can now listen to the recording of Moriba Jah’s space café on religion, ethics and space. It will help you understand moreContinue reading “Space Café on Religion, Ethics and Space”
- #PLASUS21 WorkshopPLAnetary SUStainability 21: Challenges, Opportunities and Necessities The workshop connected space & global sustainability, key space actors and sustainability thinkers and took placeContinue reading “#PLASUS21 Workshop”