PLAnetary SUStainability 21: Challenges, Opportunities and Necessities
The workshop will connect space & global sustainability, key space actors and sustainability thinkers and will take place on Thursday 29/4/21 9-17 CET online via Zoom.
09:00-9:05 Opening (TBA)
09:05-9:30 Planetary Sustainability: the concept (Andreas Losch with André Galli, University of Bern & Xiao-Shan Yap, EAWAG/University of Utrecht)
09:30-10:00 Planetary Boundaries and Limits to Growth (Christian Berg, Club of Rome)
10:00-10:25 Earth-Space Sustainability (Xiao-Shan Yap, EAWAG/University of Utrecht)
10:40-11:25 Environmental challenges: Space Debris; the Brightness of Megaconstellations (Thomas Schildknecht, University of Bern)
11:25-12:05 How to work on the Space Debris challenge (TBC)
12:05-12:10 Words of welcome from our host (Mathias Wirth, University of Bern)
12:10-13:00 Lunch Break
13:00-14:30 Challenges and Opportunities I
- Space can do more for Earth (Gaetan Petit, Space4Impact)
- Space Resources & Innovation (Dovilé Matuleviciute, Luxembourg Space Agency)
- Space Activity & Social Sustainability (Traugott Jähnichen, University of Bochum)
14:45-16:15 Challenges and Opportunities II
- Forward to the Moon: Europe’s exploration program Terrae Novae and Artemis (Stefaan De Mey, European Space Agency)
- Sustainable Space Logistics (Emmanuelle David, EPFL)
- Biological Challenges in Space (Oliver Ullrich, University of Zurich)
16:30-17:00 Wrap up & Closing Panel (Andreas Losch & TBA)
Registration to the workshop will be free of charge for all.
To make it happen, sponsors and donations are much welcome: https://wemakeit.com/projects/planetary-sustainability-21
Think big. Think connected. Think planetary. Act Sustainably.